Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This cake may take a little more time than other cakes, but it is well worth it. No icing needed, a family favorite
- 6 egg whites
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons orange juice (*)
- 2 tablespoons orange rind, grated
- Beat egg whites at medium speed till frothy.
- Gradually add 1/2cup sugar.
- Beat till stiff.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks till thick @ 5 minutes(use same beaters no need to wash ).
- Gradually add 1 cup sugar beat till smooth.
- Mix flour and salt.
- Blend flour mixture and orange juice alternately into yolk mixture, beginning and ending with flour, it will be thick.
- Add the orange rind.
- Gently fold yolk mixture into whites.
- Pour into an ungreased 10" angel food tube pan.
- Bake at 325° for 45-50 minutes till a wooden tooth pick comes out clean.
- Invert pan and cool completely(turn a glass upside down and put pan on top to cool).
- * One large orange is enough for juice.