Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the only meatloaf recipe I use. The cheese makes the meatloaf very moist and tasty! The herbs impart a wonderful flavor as well! I freeze this after slicing in a container and reheat in the microwave for a quick dinner.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic and herb seasoning (salt free)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, mix well.
- Press into a 9x5 inch loaf pan, and cover with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour, uncover and pour extra sauce out.
- Return to oven and bake for 5-10 minutes.
- Leave in pan for 10-20 minutes, this will prevent the meatloaf from falling apart when cut.
I'm sorry to say that this wasn't what we expected. I think it may be better served over pasta with more sauce, or formed into meatballs, but as a meatloaf, it just didn't fit our family's tastes. The meat broke apart too easily, making it difficult to serve as well. I think the recipe has potential, but as is, is just so-so. Sorry!
This had a mild flavor no one spice over powered another. Yes, mine also fell apart when I tried to serve it. I guess you may want to increase the bread crumbs, maybe try 1 1/3 cups.