Recipe by Lori Mama
Another tasty recipe from CBC's Best Ever Recipe cooking show with modification.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped trimmed green beans
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup finely minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Vinaigrette: In large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Transfer 2 tbsp to large shallow dish; add chicken, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 8 hours.).
- Meanwhile, in saucepan of boiling water, cover and cook barley for 20 minutes. Add green beans; cook until tender-crisp and barley is tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, drain well and toss with vinaigrette.
- Place chicken on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and cook, turning once, until no longer pink inside, about 10 minutes. Cut into cubes.
- Add chicken to barley mixture. Add tomatoes, onion and basil; toss to combine.
- Serve 4 for lunch or, as I did, serves 2 for dinner.