Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This came out of the New Better Homes and Garden Cookbook. Made it for a church function and got rave reviews and I truly do think it is the Best Ever Carrot Cake I have made and I've made several. Enjoy!
- 4 beaten eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots, lightly packed
- 3⁄4 cup cooking oil
- cream cheese frosting (any will do)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted (optional)
- Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grease and flour two 9x1 1/2 inch round cake pans; set pans aside.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, carrots, and oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture; stir until combined. Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 oven for 30-35 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely on racks.
- Frost tops and side with frosting. If desired, sprinkle chopped pecans over frosting. Store cake in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- *The carrots need to be finely shredded or they may sink to the bottom of pan during baking.
This has been my go to carrot cake for a long time. I've even made a wedding cake with this recipe. Lost the page from my BHG book :( so I was happy to find it here. Thanks!
My hubby, wanted some desert, so I printed your recipe for him. He made several unintentional changes (smile): He forgot step 1, he did cut down on the sugar, he didn't frost it, and he used almonds (only nuts in the house), BUT it was still great! Yes, we'll be using this recipe again for sure!!
I used walnuts instead of pecans and other than that followed this recipe to the 'T'. This is awesome and my friends really really relished every piece of this cake. Thanks ever so much for a yummy treat!