Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an easy way to use up stale French or Italian Bread. It is delicious warm or cold. It can be varied by using peeled apples, or dried cranberries, cherries, or blueberries in addition to or instead of the raisins. It is very good plain; but, I especially enjoy it with a Lemon Sauce topping. Refer to Lemon Sauce.
- 10 cups stale bread cubes, left out to air dry
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 5 cups skim milk
- 8 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9"x13" glass ovenproof pan with the stale bread cubes (You can leave them out on a tray overnight to air dry).
- Sprinkle the raisins over the bread, pushing some between the cubles.
- Drizzle cubes with the melted butter.
- Using a medium size bowl, mix together the milk, eggs,sugar cinnamon, and vanilla. Pour the mixture over the cubes.
- Press the cubes down into the mixture;and, let sit for 10 minutes to let the bread absorb some of the liquid.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Pudding will become quite puffy.
- Sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons of sugar and return to the oven 5-10 more minutes or until center of the pudding is firm and top is brown.
- Optional: Top with Lemon Sauce. Recipe #21838 works well.