Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Since there are so few ingredients, going low-fat on any of them would really compromise the flavor. This should only be made in the summer when tomatoes are perfectly ripe. This makes two sandwiches.
- salt and pepper
- 4 slice tomatoes (must be ripe and fairly large)
- 6-8 slice bacon
- 4 slice bread (or 2 split buns, use your favorite of either)
- 6 leaf iceberg lettuce
- 29.58 ml buttermilk ranch dressing (Hidden Valley Ranch)
- Season the tomato slices with salt and pepper and allow to rest on paper towels to absorb liquid.
- In a large cast iron skillet, cook the bacon until crisp (about 15-20 minutes) and drain on a paper towel.
- Pour off the bacon fat (but save it for other recipes!) leaving a tiny coating of fat in the pan. Over a very low heat, put the slices of bread in the skillet and warm/toast them on both sides until lightly browned (about 3-4 minutes total).
- Remove bread from the skillet and, for each sandwich, top one bread slice with 2 tomatoes, 3-4 slices bacon, 3 lettuce leaves, and 1 tbsp dressing; top with the other bread slice and serve immediately.
I love BLTs and really enjoyed the change of pace using ranch dressing instead of mayo. Will definitely make this again!
I usually have B-B-Q sauce on my BLT's so the ranch dressing made a very nice change, I cooked my bacon in the oven and toasted my wholemeal/wholegrain bread in the electric toaster otherwise assembled as directed and thoroughly enjoyed, thank you KissKiss, made for Name that Ingredient tag game.
Yum. These were really good with the ranch dressing. Thanks for sharing. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup Tag.