Recipe by Aussie_Ang
This recipe came straight from a Benihana restaurant. I have not altered it at all.
Top Review by adventurgirl
First, I NEVER comment on things, good or bad; & Food.com recipes are usually fine. But I was SO disappointed after following this recipe that I had to comment on it. This recipe is completely inaccurate. It tastes NOTHING like Benihana's Soup (my family just ate there last night, after well over 30 visits throughout our lifetime), & It's measurements are TOTALLY WRONG. After boiling 2 qts of water, there was barely any broth remaining, & it calls for 1 KILOGRAMS of mushrooms...that is 2.02 lbs of mushrooms. Even though I thought that seemed like a lot while I was purchasing the mushrooms, I went along anyway. Now, I can adjust the water amount, etc, BUT the taste is NOT at all correct! ---highly irritated to have wasted my time & money!
- 1 chicken carcass
- 1 beef bone
- 1 onion (diced finely)
- 1⁄4 stalk celery
- 2 quarts water (= 2 liters)
- 1⁄2 carrot (sliced)
- 1⁄4 garlic clove (smashed)
- 1 medium onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 kg mushroom (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallot
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil all stock ingredients together for 45min.
- Strain through cheesecloth or napkin.
- use only the broth. (you can simmer stock for 4-5 hrs then strain).
- Slowly cook the onion in oil until it is slightly brown and crisp.
- Drain and pat with paper towel.
- Add onions and mushrooms and shallots to broth in bowls.