Recipe by Olha
The secret of this famous bread lies in the lumps of sugar that you add to the dough, which give the bread its sweet, crunch character. Served warm with sweet butter, it will disappear in no time at all! Tasty!
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup lukewarm water
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1stick)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup of small sugar cube (about)
Directions See How It's Made
- Proof the yeast in the lukewarm water with the 1 teaspoon of the sugar.
- Scald the milk, add the rest of the granulated sugar and add the stick of butter to melt in the hot milk and add the salt. Let stand until lukewarm.
- Blend the yeast sponge with the milk butter and sugar-salt mixture, stir in the 2 eggs and add the flour, by 1/2 cups, stirring until you have a smooth dough.
- Add the sugar cubes and turn onto a lightly floured work surface, adding more flour if the dough seems sticky. Knead a couple of minutes to get the sugar cubes well incorporated.
- Place the dough in a large buttered bowl, cove r with a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- After the dough has doubled in bulk, knead for a few minutes on the floured work surface and divide into 2 equal pieces. Butter two round 8 inch cake forms and shape the dough into 2 round cakes to fit into the forms.
- Cover with a towel and let rise again in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until they are nicely browned on top. If you can, serve them warm! Yield: 2 small round loaves. Can be frozen.
- Breads Of The Worlds.