Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Beer gives an interesting taste and colour to this untraditional vichyssoise. Good on a picnic table as well as the dining room table.
- 4 medium leeks, white part only thinly sliced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 -4 large potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups strong chicken stock
- 1 bottle regular beer or 1 bottle regular ale
- salt and pepper
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup table cream
- Sautee leeks and onions in butter in a Dutch Oven until almost tender.
- Add potatoes, stock, beer and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 until potatoes are tender.
- Puree in a blender or with a hand blender.
- Add some milk if puree is too thick.
- Pour into a bowl and stir in milk and cream.
- Blend well and serve icy cold.