Chef #184400's Note:
I'm not sure if this came from a published recipe or not, but it's been a family favorite. You can make it as mild or as hot as you like. I recently made this for a chili party and out of the 7 different kinds of chili recipes that were there, this was the only one that was empty at the end of the night. The secrect is using Caroll Shelby's Chili seasoning kit. In order for it to be a thicker chili you must use the chili seasoning mix that comes in the little brown sack. If you don't it will be like soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer, of your choice
- 1 (46 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can kidney beans (mild or hot)
- 1 (8 ounce) can chili beans (mild or hot)
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 lb ground beef (browned and drained)
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 chopped green pepper (or desired amount) (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) package chili seasoning mix (Caroll Shelby's chili kit)
- 1Brown and drain 1 lb.of hamburger.
- 2While browning hamburger, empty V-8 Juice and Beer into a large stock pot, bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat to a simmer; add all remaining ingredients, EXCEPT CHILI PACKAGE SPICES (add beef, beans, onion, green pepper, tomatoes etc.).
- 4Open chili spice package. You will find 4 packets of different spices.
- 5Add larger package of chili spices first and stir.
- 6Add salt packet to taste (I usually end up adding all of this one); stir.
- 7Add small cayenne pepper packet to taste (optional). Will be extremely hot & spicy if all is added. I usually add 1/4 to 1/2 of packet).
- 8If you like thick chili, follow directions on package for use of masa flour to thicken.
- 9Continue to simmer and stir. It's ready to eat when heated all the way through. The longer it simmers the spicier it will get. My mom used to let it simmer for an hour or more when I was younger. If you decide to simmer longer than 20 minutes, after last ingredient is added, turn the heat down to low.
- 10We like to garnish with sour cream, crackers, shredded cheese and/ or Fritos. I also noticed at the chili party that some people added spaghetti noodles to their chili.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beer Chili
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 250.6
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 692.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 16.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chili seasoning mix