Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
BEER CAN CHICKEN RECIPE - IN THE OVEN Easy Prep: 15 min; Cook: 2 hours ( If starting with frozen chicken, defrost for 3 days in refrigerator.) You will need an oven proof pan or dish, tongs, oven mitt, skewer.
- 1 (3 -6 lb) whole free-range chicken
- 3 tablespoons Emeril's Original Essence (3 TBSP)
- 3 tablespoons lawry's garlic salt (3 TBSP)
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer (ONE 12 oz. can)
- PREHEAT oven to 400 degrees F. - rack on bottom.
- REMOVE any innards or other items from inside of the chicken.
- RINSE the chicken inside and out in cold, running water.
- OPTIONAL: seal neck of chicken with skewer (shown) for gravy, seal neck, for moister chicken, leave open.
- RUB the chicken, inside and out with Memphis rub or your choice of spices.
- OPEN a standard can (14 oz) of your favorite beer, punch a few extra holes, and pour out about 1/4 of the beer.
- ADD 2 TBSP rub or spice to beer can.
- PLACE beer can on oven proof pan or dish (this allows the chicken to cook indirectly and catches the juices if you want to make gravy.
- ARRANGE chicken on beer can, allow the two legs to form two sides of tripod so chicken is stable (picture).
- WHEN oven is ready (400 degrees), place chicken on pan or plate on bottom rack. Some cooks 'tent' the bird with foil for the first hour or so to prevent over-browning.
- REDUCE oven to 350 degrees after 1/2 hour. BEST when chicken cooks 1 1/2 - 2 hours - check visually after about 1/2 hour and rotate the chicken in a half circle to cook evenly, should brown slowly and evenly.
- WHEN chicken is ready, using tongs and oven glove if necessary to separate chicken and beer can, carefully remove to separate platter. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- REMOVE pan or dish, and pour in any remaining beer, stirring, if make a sauce.
- CUT up chicken and serve. Serve gravy in separate dish.
I and my girlfriend LOVED this recipe! I made it for dinner last night and it was easy and really moist. I used the seasonings as described in the recipe, but I also added 3 T of lemon pepper. This recipe could lend itself to many variations. I will DEFINATELY make this one again.