1/2 Photos of Beer-Batter Fried Pickle Chips
I had heard all about these at fairs and as appetizers in restaurants, so I thought I would look up how to make them. I mixed a few recipes together, and this is what I got. We had never had them before, and we really liked them, so we hope you do too! Really easy, and you don't need any special fryer to do it! For a variation, 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning can be substituted for the salt and pepper in the flour mixture. NOTE: If you use whole pickles, you'll need a 32 oz. jar. If the pickles are pre-sliced, you'll only need a 24 oz. jar (the ingredient listing didn't want to cooperate with me on that one).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1If not pre-cut, cut pickles in 1/2-1/4 inch slices. Blot pickles with paper towels to remove excess moisture (I cut mine and immediately place them on folded-up paper towels, and then I blot them also).
- 2Whisk 3/4 cup flour with the beer. Place remaining flour, salt, and pepper in a gallon-size Ziploc bag; shake to combine.
- 3Pour canola oil in a deep skillet or Dutch oven, and set it over medium heat; the oil should be approximately 3/4 inch deep.
- 4When your oil is hot (test it by sprinkling a little water in the oil, when it pops, you know it's ready), start preparing the pickle chips.
- 5Put all the pickle slices in the Ziploc bag with the flour to completely coat the pickles with flour. Take them out, and dip them in beer batter.
- 6Immediately place batter-covered pickles in the oil (about 10-15 at a time, making sure not to crowd them), careful that it may pop back, for about 2 minutes on each side or until brown.
- 7When they're golden, remove and place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- 8Eat plain, serve with Ranch dressing, or serve with any dipping sauce of your choice.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beer-Batter Fried Pickle Chips
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.1
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3224.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 8.1 g