Prep 6 mins
Cook 4 mins
This recipe was given to me by an Alaskan friend. I have not tried it yet (we don't eat much fried foods), but knowing the source, I'm sure it is good!
- vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flat beer
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- 2 lbs halibut or 2 lbs chicken, skinned and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Heat deep fryer or skillet with vegetable oil deep enough to cover meat to 375.
- Beat egg, and add remaining ingredients.
- Rinse and dry meat on paper towels in order for it to hold batter.
- Dip meat into batter and place in deep fryer or skillet.
- Cook for approx 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
This is an excellent recipe. I used it for, salmon and sweet potato, fish and chips.
This is the only recipe I use for beer battering now. The beer batter fried to be thin and crispy. I do add more flour to make it a bit thicker though.
Loved the recipe!! After I soak the halibut/lincod in the batter, I usually roll it in a Panko (Japanese style) bread crumbs and coconut mixture and then fry it. Delicious!!