Recipe by Hey Jude
I haven't made this yet but just watched it being made on Food Network's 'Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Cooking' and it just looks too good to not post here for safe-keeping. You'll need 4 oven-proof mugs for this recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef cube steaks, cut into 1 inch pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 (24 ounce) jarcountry vegetable soup
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper; toss beef with flour in a large bowl to coat.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add 1/3 of the beef to the hot oil and sear until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes; using a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a clean bowl; repeat with remaining beef in 2 more batches.
- Add beef broth and bring to a simmer, scraping with a wooden spoon to loosen brown bits on bottom; return all beef and any accumulated juices to pot; add soup and simmer, uncovered, until liquid thickens slightly and beef is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Divide stew equally among 4 oven-proof mugs.
- On a floured surface, cut puff pastry into 4, 4-inch rounds; Moisten rims of mugs with water then gently adhere puff pastry to each mug.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes.