Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A flavorful Thai beef flank steak dish served over Chinese cabbage. Makes a beautiful presentation. Easy to make as this entire dish is all prepared in a wok. Prep time does not include 1-hour marinating time for meat. From my Thai Cooking School cookbook.
- 12 ounces flank steaks
- 1⁄2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 red Thai chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 head garlic, cloves crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 head Chinese cabbage, sliced
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Thai fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- lime wedge (to garnish)
- cooked rice, to serve
- Pound the steak with the blunt side of a knife. Slice diagonally across the grain into thin, bite-size pieces and place in a shallow bowl.
- Combine the sugar, peppercorns, soy sauce, chile, garlic and half the lime juice in a bowl, mixing well. Pour over the beef, stirring to coat. Marinate at room temperature for 1 hour, or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Arrange the Chinese cabbage in a shallow service dish. Scatter with onion slices.
- Heat a wok over high heat, then add the oil. Add the beef and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the fish sauce and remaining lime juice, and stir-fry for an additional minute.
- Add the meat and juices to the Chinese cabbage and onion, then scatter over the mint. Garnish with lime wedges and serve immediately with rice, if using.