Recipe by Barbara In Florida
I make this recipe no less than 2 times a year. One is for my BDay (which is coming up) and the other is New Year's Eve. I got this recipe from Betty Crocker's Holiday Cookbook.
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) beef tenderloin
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (3 ozs)
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs (about 1 1/2 slice bread)
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled gorgonzola or 1⁄2 cup Roquefort cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse kosher sea salt or 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup currant jelly
- 1 cup merlot or 1 cup zinfandel or 1 cup nonalcoholic red wine
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425.
- Cut tenderloin horizontally down length of beef, about 1/2 " from top of beef, to within 1/2 " of opposite side; open flat. Repeat with other side.
- Melt butter in 10" skillet over medium high heat. Cook mushrooms in butter until tender and liquid has evaporated. Cool 5 minutes. Add bread crumbs, cheese and parsley. Toss to combine.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over beef to within 1" of edges. Tightly roll up beef, beginning with long side. Turn small end of beef under about 6" so it cooks evenly.
- Tie beef with kitchen string at 1 1/2" intervals.
- Place seam side down on rack in shallow roasting pan. Brush with oil, sprinkle with salt. Insert oven proof thermometer in thickest part of beef.
- Bake uncovered 30 to 40 minutes until thermometer reads at least 140 degrees.
- Cover loosely with foil and let rest 15 minutes. Temp should rise to 145 degrees.
- Merlot Sauce:.
- Heat all ingredients in a 1 qt sauce pan, stirring occasionally; reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered 10-15 minutes until reduced and syrupy.
- Serve on the side with beef.