This is an excellent beef stew. The recipe is from a good friend who is an excellent cook. Everything she makes is always very tasty. Good for company. Serve with a nice crusty bread.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 (1 ounce) package onion soup mix (dry)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried fines herbes
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 4 -5 minced garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (optional)
- 5 potatoes, diced
- 5 carrots, diced (small carrots)
- 1 (10 ounce) can mixed vegetables
- 3 tablespoons brown gravy mix (Bistro)
- In hot skillet, put 2 tbsp oil, brown beef.
- Let juices reduce by half.
- Mix in onion soup mix and cover with water.
- Add bay leaf, fines herbes, parsley and garlic.
- Let simmer for 45 minutes or 1 hour.
- Add potatoes and carrots.
- Let simmer 45 minutes or until potatoes & carrots are done.
- Add 3 tbsp of Bistro in a cup with a little bit of water to blend well and then add to the pot and stir to mix well.
- Continue simmering for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Cook time is 1 hour & 40 minutes.
Very tasty but I ended puting 8 cups of water in it.I also added turnip as I had to use it up.