1/2 Photos of Beef Shank Stew a La Crock Pot
9 hrs 30 mins
Pierre Dance's Note:
I've been going through some old cook books, I keep finding the odd recipe or two. No! That's not true! With the number of bits of paper and 3x5 cards and items torn from magazines and newspapers it's no longer odd, it's normal. I almost have carpel tunnel syndrome from trying to enter them all into my PC. I am posting a few of the best. Enjoy. Please don't ask where they came from, I haven't the foggiest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle brown ale or 1 (12 ounce) bottle red ale (Bud or Coors just isn't going to hack it.You need a real robust beer. The alcohol cooks away, we're)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup Wondra Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 1/2 lbs baby red potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 lb button mushroom, quartered (I've used 3-4 dried Shiitaki mushrooms, soaked in warm water 'til tender then sliced.)
- 1/2 lb baby carrots, halved lengthwise (quarter the big ones)
- 2 1/2 lbs beef shanks, trimmed of fat
- 2 lemons, zest of, of
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1During hot weather move the crock pot into the shade on the patio.
- 2No need to work the AC more than necessary.
- 3In a mixing bowl combine Ale and Tomato Paste, whisk'til well mixed.
- 4Whisk in the Wondra, Salt, Red chilies, Pepper, and Garlic.
- 5Mix well.
- 6Pour into crock pot.
- 7Set heat on low.
- 8Stir in Onions, Celery, Potatoes, mushrooms, and Carrots.
- 9Work Beef Shanks down under the surface of the broth.
- 10Cover, cook on low for 9 hours,'til beef is tender.
- 11Stir a bit of Lemon zest and juice into each bowl before serving.
- 12This goes well with hot, buttered, corn sticks (My Corn Sticks) and several cold beers.
- 13May be eaten while alone but not recommended.
- 14It's much better with company.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Shank Stew a La Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.0
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 349.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of