Recipe by Nana Lee
These are great empanadas. You can add cooked, diced white or sweet potato. Make them any size you want. They make wonderful appetizers served warm.
Top Review by Bergy
These Empanadas are a winner! I served the with Robin"s Kakadu Plum & Chili Sauce, perfect combination. I admit that I am not good at rolling pastry and took a shortcut I used round egg roll wrappers and they are wonderful, came out crisp on the outside and a nice bite to the filling.I would love to try them with the Empanada dough but it's hard to imagine that they could be any better than these. Serrano peppers were not available so I used Jalapeno, they are not quite as hot but much larger so I used 9, left the seeds in- just the right kick. I found that I had to simmer the filling (after adding the tomatoe) for apprx. 15 minutes to get it to the right consistency . Perhaps my Romas were extra juicy. My freezer smiled when I slipped these in. This recipe is 5 star all the way. Thanks Mean Chef for a "Mean" recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup lard
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground pork
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, toasted, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup black raisins
- 8 plum tomatoes
- 24 serrano peppers
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- egg wash
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR DOUGH:.
- Put flour and salt in Cuisinart, pulse to combine.
- Add cold lard and butter, pulse to form crumbs.
- Add water and pulse until it just comes together.
- Chill at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out and cut out circles.
- Saute meat, drain fat.
- Saute onions for 2 minutes, add garlic, almonds and raisins and saute for 2 minutes more.
- Place tomato, chiles, lime juice, salt and pepper in blender.
- Puree until smooth.
- Add puree, cumin, cloves, cinnamon meat and onion to skillet.
- Cook 5 minutes or until excess liquid evaporates.
- Cool. Fill pastry circles, fold and crimp with fork.
- Refrigerate or freeze.
- Bake frozen for 20 minutes at 400ºF.