Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an long-time favorite of mine being very tasty dish to serve family or at potlucks. It's an old recipe but still in tune with today's tastebuds. The name is rather prosaic: back in the day, cookbook authors jazzed up the name some to entice their readers. One called it "Poor Man's Lasagna", and another called it "Hamburger Cheese Delight." Still another gave it the French touch, calling it "Boeuf en Casserole". You'll call it "go-o-od!"
- 8 ounces broad egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (OR use 1/4 tsp. garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese (optional)
- 1 cup cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 green onions, sliced (may be called scallions)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook noodles, according to package directions, until barely tender. Rinse in cold water to stop the cooking, and drain.
- Melt butter in a large skillet, add the ground beef and minced garlic and saute until beef loses its pinkness and is well crumbled. If using garlic powder, add it now, along with the salt, pepper, sugar, and tomato sauce. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Cream the cream cheese if using ; blend in cottage cheese and sour cream (yes, you may use low-fat varieties).
- Butter a 13x9-inch baking dish. Spread 1/2 of the noodles over the bottom. Top this with 1/2 of the cheese mixture and then 1/2 of the meat sauce. repeat layers. Sprinkle top with grated Cheddar cheese. Bake in preheated over about 20-30 minutes until bubbly.
- You can vary this recipe in lots off ways to suit your family's taste buds. Here's a few suggestions. (1) Saute an onion or 1/2 lb. cleaned, sliced mushrooms with the meat. (2) Add a pinch of basil and/or oregano to the meat sauce. (3) Add 1/4 cup chopped olives to the cheese mixture. (4) Sprinkle one-half of a 10-oz. package of frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, and very well drained, atop each layer of cheese mixture. (5) Instead of Cheddar cheese, sprinkle the top of casserole with 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese.
- NOTE: Entire casserole can be prepared earlier in the day and refrigerated. Add 10-15 minutes to reheating time in this case. When reheating leftovers, cover with foil.