Recipe by Alan Leonetti
This is an old Italian recipe that I got from a dear friend of mine, Martin San, and I slightly modified. I guarantee that this will be the BEST liver you've ever tasted! Even people who don't like liver will like this recipe.
Top Review by myuendong
If you like liver and you like curry, you will love this recipe! Not sure if it is a typo, but step 4 says to saute the onions and seasonings for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I sauteed for about 8 to 10 minutes to allow the onions to carmelize; removed them from the pan and proceeded to saute the liver in the same pan before combining them. I also added about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water; although a splash of sherry might have been nice too. I loved it!
- 1 lb beef liver (skinned & deveined)
- 4 lbs onions (sliced 1/8-inch thick)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- extra virgin olive oil (to cover skillet)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover bottom of very large skillet with olive oil.
- Slice the onions 1/8 of an inch thick & place into skillet.
- Add 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 tsp paprika & 1 tsp curry.
- Sauté on low heat & covered about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Cut liver into 1 1/2 to 2 inch cubes.
- Place the cubed liver into a plastic bag with 4 tbsp flour, 1/2 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Shake the bag to fully coat all of the liver.
- In a clean skillet, cover bottom with olive oil & on high heat get the oil VERY HOT!
- Place the liver into the extremely hot oil & sear the liver on both sides.
- Add a little more salt, pepper & curry if needed.
- Add the liver & onions together & fold & serve.
- This could be served, if desired, over either rice, coos coos, polenta or pasta.
- Potatoes are only recommended as a side dish.