1/1 Photo of Beef Empanadas With Black Bean Dipping Sauce
1 hr 20 mins
I got this recipe from Bon Appetit, but they didn't have it published on their web site, so I'm putting it here for safe keeping. It was in the 'request' section where readers write in and ask for a recipe from a location / restaurant they'd eaten at. This one comes from the Grace Bay Club in Turks and Caicos. It looks quite good - so I'm hoping some of us enjoy this! UPDATE - I made these this weekend and they were good and went over big at a party. I made a double batch and note the puff pastry at my grocery was $4.99 ea - so for a double batch - that is 3 packages...so not an inexpensive appetizer for a party... Many liked them - but I thought next time I might see about using pie pastry instead of the puff pastry and perhaps adding a bit of cheese or maybe potato inside of the empenadas? The dip was great - even with tortilla chips too.... :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
- 1.5 (17 1/3 ounce) packages frozen puff pastry, thawed (3 sheets)
- 3 large egg yolks, beaten (for glaze)
- 1Beef Empanadas:.
- 2Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add beef and garlic, cook, stirring often and breaking into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until beef is cooked, about 3 minutes.
- 3Add tomato paste, cumin, and cayenne. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring often, to let flavors meld, about 4 minutes.
- 4Add cilantro; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5Let filling cool to room temperature.
- 6Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 7Cut each pastry sheet into four 4 1/2 inch squares for a total of 12 squares.
- 8Lightly brush edges of squares with glaze. Spoon filling into center of each, dividing equally. Fold edges over, forming triangles, and press to seal. Crimp edges with tines of a fork. Divide triangles between prepared sheets.
- 9Brush tops with glaze.
- 10Do Ahead: can be prepared 6 hours in advance. Cover and chill.
- 11Bake until tops are puffed and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- 12Dipping Sauce:.
- 13Meanwhile, puree beans and sour cream in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in half of tomatoes and half of scallions. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle remaining tomatoes and scallions over.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Empanadas With Black Bean Dipping Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (1775 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 480.6
- Calories from Fat 292
- Total Fat 32.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 68.9 mg
- Sodium 195.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 11.6 g