Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
Good comfort food for a busy family...
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 4 teaspoons butter or 4 teaspoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon garlic juice
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- salt & pepper, to tast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 4 green onions, chopped,tops and all
- 1 (10 ounce) package medium egg noodles
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Brown meat in butter and drain.
- Add garlic juice and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, salt, pepper and sugar and simmer 15 minutes.
- In separate bowl mix cream cheese, sour cream and chopped onions, set aside.
- Cook noodles according to package directions and drain.
- In large casserole dish, layer noodles, meat, grated cheese, sour cream mixture and repeat order until all used.
- Top with undiluted mushroom soup.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with extra cheddar cheese the last 10 minutes.
Wow. This is certainly not what I was expecting! I was expecting a dish my husband and daughter liked, maybe not me so much. I LOVED it!!! It's very easy to make , and it's total comfort food!! I was a bit skeptical of the cream cheese/sour cream mix, but oh my , it works and works well!! Husband and daughter really liked it as well , so it is definitely a keeper in my meal rotation!!!! Thanks so much for posting it Terri!!! **Update 5/28, 07 Terri, just made this for dinner last night. I tried and tried to get an attractive photo and just couldn't manage it! *argh* Just thought I would refresh my review , I cut the recipe in half with no problems , did not fry the beef in butter (I just couldn't do it LOL) and used lite cream cheese and lite sour cream with no ill effects to the taste of the dish :) We really enjoy this , thanks!!! :)
My neighbors and I love this type of compfort food for a quick and easy meal during the week. This fit the bill very nicely, thank you. I didn't have any garlic juice so I used a 1/2 teaspoon of granulated garlic and adjusted the cooking method a bit but it was no problem and the flavors still combined very well. Thanks for a nice easy, simple recipe.