3 hrs 30 mins
Jan in Lanark's Note:
A truly satisfying recipe- even better when started a day ahead, so it's great for entertaining. Serve with a crusty baguette to sop up all the wonderful gravy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1 large onion, chopped coarsely
- 2 lbs boneless blade roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- roasted vegetables (optional)
- 1Fry the diced bacon in a large pot until browned and remove from pot.
- 2Add mushrooms and onions to bacon fat and sauté until soft, about five minutes.
- 3Remove from pot.
- 4Brown beef a little at a time, adding vegetable oil if needed.
- 5Sprinkle flour over meat.
- 6Add wine, stock, garlic, tomato paste and seasonings.
- 7Cook in a slow oven, about 300 degrees, covered, for 2-3 hours.
- 8I try to do this the day before and then let sit in the frig overnight,which makes the meat incredibly tender and flavourful.
- 9Add bacon, mushrooms and onions and cook for at least another hour in a slow oven.
- 10I sometimes roast some root vegetables- carrots, parsnips, turnip and potato and add for the last half hour, but it's equally tasty without.
- 11You could also add a bit of hot sauce or Worcestershire sauce if you want to spice it up a bit.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Bourguignon
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 573.6
- Calories from Fat 366
- Total Fat 40.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 119.1 mg
- Sodium 468.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 30.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: