Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Hearty, tender beef in a red wine sauce. Serve with a loaf of crusty bread! In Memory of our Julia Child.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 lbs cubed stew meat
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb button mushroom (Cleaned left whole)
- 1 lb white pearl onion, peeled
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and ground black pepper.
- Coat the beef cubes with this mixture.
- Melt the butter in cast iron pot over medium high heat. (Or if not worried about fat fry 3 bacon slices till browned remove and use the fat in place or with the butter).
- Add the meat and brown well on all sides.
- Add the onion, carrots, mushrooms, red pepper, and garlic to it.
- Saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until onion is tender.
- Add the wine, bay leaf, parsley, and thyme.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove cover and bake for 30 more minutes.
- If needed add more wine, chicken broth, or water.
- Garnish with parsley and crumbled bacon.
I have been wanting to make Julia Child's version for a long time, but every time I read the recipe I change my mind. Found this wonderful recipe and had to try!! It is outstanding!!!! I fed 7 adults with this recipe and had enough leftovers for one more serving. My only alterations to this recipe was to add about a tablespoon of tomato paste and a cup of beef broth. To die for!! Now one of my favorites!!
This was a great recipe. I've made Julia Child's recipe and this rivals it, with less prep work. I overcoked it a bit but I just made sure there was enough sauce to help cover. Our company seemed to really enjoy t, as did my kids! The next day we ran out of wine to moisten and I secretly added a little diet soda. Shhh... It was absolutely fantastic! This is now my go-to recipe for Beouf Bourguinon!
Yummy. I cut up a sirloin roast to get 2 meals out of it, used baby carrots and cabernet wine. The kitchen smelled great while it was cooking. Thanks for sharing Rita. Made for ZWT8 France.