Hearty, tender beef in a red wine sauce. Serve with a loaf of crusty bread! In Memory of our Julia Child.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 lbs cubed stew meat
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb button mushroom (Cleaned left whole)
- 1 lb white pearl onion, peeled
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and ground black pepper.
- Coat the beef cubes with this mixture.
- Melt the butter in cast iron pot over medium high heat. (Or if not worried about fat fry 3 bacon slices till browned remove and use the fat in place or with the butter).
- Add the meat and brown well on all sides.
- Add the onion, carrots, mushrooms, red pepper, and garlic to it.
- Saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until onion is tender.
- Add the wine, bay leaf, parsley, and thyme.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove cover and bake for 30 more minutes.
- If needed add more wine, chicken broth, or water.
- Garnish with parsley and crumbled bacon.