Classic French Beef Bourguignon
Classic French Beef Bourguignon is one of my favorite meals. Here's the recipe I use. It's the best one I've tried. It's from another site (allrecipes) and was submitted by Teri Smith. It's very easy to do but allow plenty of time for it to bake (3 hours total).
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 lbs cubed stew meat
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 (16 ounce) can onions
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and ground black pepper. Coat the beef cubes with this mixture.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the meat and brown well on all sides. Pour this into a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add the onion, carrots and garlic to it. Saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until onion is tender. add the wine, bay leaf, parsley, thyme, and liquid from the mushrooms. Pour over meat.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 2 1/2 hours. Remove cover, add canned onions and mushroom crowns, and bake for 30 more minutes.