2 hrs 40 mins
Rutecki Family's Note:
After growing up relishing my mother's beef stew, I stumbled onto a decadent equivalent from Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins wonderful cookbook, "The New Basics" in the early 1990s. 20 years later and it's still a favorite winter staple. My version is a bit simplified from the original, but as long as the wine and bacon are included, the results will be savored by all.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces thick-sliced bacon, cut into small dice
- 3 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups Burgundy wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaf
- 3 -4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch julienne (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 11. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 22. Saute bacon until crisp. Set aside leaving 1 tablespoon fat in skillet.
- 33. Saute beef over medium-high heat until browned.
- 44. Add onions, sprinkle with salt and pepper and flour. Cook over high, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- 55. Add wine, stock, tomato paste, bacon, and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Cover and bake in oven until meat is tender (about 2 hours).
- 66. Meanwhile, prepare vegetables: Bring small pot of water to a boil. Drop in carrots and boil till tender, 5-7 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water. Reserve.
- 77. Melt butter and saute mushrooms and onions over medium heat for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- 88. When meat is cooked, transfer casserole to a burner. Add vegetables. Heat through, about 7 minutes. Serve garnished with chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Bourguignon
Serving Size: 1 (664 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 886.5
- Calories from Fat 524
- Total Fat 58.2 g
- Saturated Fat 22.5 g
- Cholesterol 187.2 mg
- Sodium 956.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 48.2 g