Recipe by bggio
This is the stew for those cold winter nights. The tenderness of the beef and the red wine just flavours this incredible stew. The key is to completely marinate the beef.
Top Review by bggio
Absolutely tasty. You have to love wine to realy enjoy this it has such a rich flavour on the meat. I also used the tenderloin and so much flavour in the meat and so tender. Thanks I think if your not into the wine taste on the beef cut marinating time or substitute with garlic and oil.
- 907.18 g beef (i use tenderloin but hip or shoulder stewing beef works)
- 473.18 ml red wine
- 59.14 ml sunflower oil
- 113.39 g pancetta, thinly sliced and cubed
- 473.18 ml onions, coursley chopped
- 473.18 ml carrots, chopped 1 inch lengths
- 354.88 ml celery, chopped fine
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 9.85 ml fresh thyme
- 1.23 ml ground cloves
- 1.23 ml ground allspice
- 236.59 ml unbleached all-purpose flour
- 19.71 ml tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 118.29 ml beef stock
- 118.29 ml water
- 453.59 g whole button mushroom
- 680.38 g potatoes
- 29.58 ml butter
- 226.79 g white pearl onion
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- combine beef wine and 4 cloves garlic and marinate overnight (8 hours).
- in a dutch oven heat 2 table spoons sunflower oil and stir in pancetta until slightly crip and remove.
- add 2 table spoon oil and saute mushroom carrot and celery with clove allspice, 4 cloves garlic and thyme 5 minutes remove and set aside with pancetta.
- remove beef from wine marinade and set wine marinade aside.
- Combine flour salt and pepper and dredge the beef completely.
- in dutch oven add 2 tablespoons oil and brown beef (in batches if necessary adding more oil if needed).
- add vegetables, pancetta to beef and stir for a minute.
- add wine marinade scraping all the bits from bottom of dutch oven.
- add tomato paste, water, beef stock, bay leaf and place in pre heated oven 325 for 3 hours.
- Saute pearl onions in butter for 3-5 minutes and in last 1/2 hour add to dutch oven.
- In a seperat pot boil potatos whole, 20 minutes let cool and peel skin, quarter the potato and add to dutch oven for last 5 minutes.