Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This classic beef dish is great for OAMC. To freeze: after stirring in veggies, cool. Place in containers to desired portion size. Freeze. To cook after freezing: thaw in refrigerator overnight. Place in oven safe dish, cover and bake at 325 for 1 1/2 hours.
- 3 lbs boneless chuck roast
- 3 ounces bacon
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine (cab or merlot)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup white pearl onion
- 2 cups button mushrooms
- Cut roast into 1 inch cubes. Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut bacon slices into 1/2 inch strips and cook slowly in a large dutch oven until crisp. Set aside drained bacon.
- Brown roast cubes on all sides in bacon fat, then remove meat from pan and set aside. Add flour to fat remaining in the pan; stir over medium heat until flour is browned.
- Carefully add broth and red wine to pan, whisking contents to avoid lumps. Add bay leaf, thyme, pepper and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir often.
- Return bacon and meat to pan. Cover and bake at 325 for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven and stir in onions and button mushrooms. If sauce is too thick, thin with water or wine. Return to oven and cook until meat is very tender and vegetables are cooked, about an hour.