Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I was in the mood to make up a soup this cold winter evening and this is what I came up with. We have found we really like the shell pasta the best. I've also started cooking my noodles and veggies together. I cook the noodles for about 5 minutes, add the frozen vegetables and bring to a boil again. I then cook them for another 7 minutes and drain.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb stew meat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces rigatoni pasta (or other pasta) or 8 ounces shell pasta, cooked and drained (or other pasta)
- 12 ounces frozen mixed vegetables, cooked
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed beef broth, double strength
- 10 ounces water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with sweet onions and roasted garlic
- Heat olive oil in skillet and brown stew meat.
- Place meat, cooked pasta, cooked veggies (I cook them in the microwave or with the noodles), stock, tomatoes and water in soup pot and heat throughly.
- Let simmer for 15-20 minutes or so to let flavors blend.
- Serve with hot bread or rolls.
- Note: if you use unseasoned tomatoes you will need to add some seasoning to the soup.
I made this on 1/21/08 for "Moan and Groan Comfort Food Photos".Since I didn't have all the ingredients I had to make a few changes,using what was on hand.For the stew meat,a bottom round roast was cut into bite-sized portions.Instead of the canned tomatoes with sweet onions and roasted garlic,I used 1/2 cup chopped sweet onions and a 14.5 ounce can of diced fire roasted tomatoes and garlic.I used a small sized can of beef broth with 2 beef bouillon cubes and the required amount of water.After browning the meat and onions,I added the broth,water,and tomatoes. Let that simmer for a few minutes,then added about 4 ounces of elbow macaroni,and then added some leftover veggies that was in the freezer.Then I let the whole thing simmer for about 25 minutes.All I can say is that this was very good and will be made again.Thanks for posting and,"Keep Smiling :)"
Beautifully tasting and so simple to put together. My kids ( 12,11 and 7 ) all loved it, with my two boys even coming back for more. Thanks Marg - this one is definately a winner