Recipe by Latchy
I have not tried this recipe, I believe it is by Jan Purser, but it is gluten free, so thought it would be of interest to a lot of people
Top Review by Sarah
Great to find a great tasting gluten free cannelloni recipe! I followed all the directions exactly and found that the amount of beef mince wasn't enough to make the 16 stated - I got 11, so I would increase that next time. Everyone enjoyed these and I will certainly be making them again. Thanks for posting Latchy.
- 250 g lean ground beef (beef mince)
- 20 g gluten free fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old gluten-free bread)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat milk
- 2 green onions, ends trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons coarsely chopped parsley
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 16 sheets round rice paper (21.5cm-diam)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, halved, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 (400 g) can diced tomatoes
- 80 ml water
- 1 small fresh chili pepper, deseeded finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the tomato sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat and add the onion and cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the tomato, water, chili, vinegar and sugar and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes, until thickened slightly.
- Meanwhile make the cannelloni, combine the mince, breadcrumbs, egg, milk, green onion, oregano, garlic and 1 tablespoon of the parsley in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Soak rice paper sheet in large dish of warm water for 30 seconds until soft and pliable.
- Drain on paper towel and transfer to clean work surface.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the beef mixture down the centre of rice paper sheet.
- Fold in ends and roll up firmly to enclose filling.
- Place cannelloni seam-side down in a large bamboo steamer basket.
- Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil over high heat.
- Cover steamer basket and place over the pan.
- Steam cannelloni for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Use tongs to transfer the cannelloni to serving plates.
- Spoon over the sauce, sprinkle with remaining parsley and serve immediately.