1/1 Photo of Beef and Black Bean Chili With Toasted Cumin Crema (Bobby Flay)
Andi the grate's Note:
I posting this recipe to save it. My husband got this recipe out of Maxim Magazine. We made it to the best of our ability but we had to make substitutions because we just couldn't find some of the chili powders. We ended up just using 5 Tbs. of commercial chili powders in place of the 3 Tbs. of ancho chili powder, 1 Tbs. pasilla chili powder, and 1 Tbs. ground cumin. It was still very good. We also substituted ground buffalo for about 1/2 of the beef. Then we made it extra fancy pants... we topped it with the cumin crema, sliced avocado and apple smoked Gruyere.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 1/2 lbs chuck roast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red onion
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground pasilla chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 (16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 12 ounces black beans, drained, rinsed, and drained again
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup creme fraiche or 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1Heat two tablespoon of oil in a large pot with a lid over hight heat. Salt and pepper the beef and layer half in the pot.
- 2Brown on all sides. Remove to a plate and repeat with the remaining oil and meat.
- 3Remove all but two tablespoons of fat from the pot.
- 4Cook onions until soft.
- 5Add garlic and jalapeno, cook for one minute.
- 6Add ancho powder, pasilla powder, and cumin; cook two minutes.
- 7Add beer and cook until reduced by half.
- 8Return beef to pot, add rest of ingredients except beans and lime juice.
- 9Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 10For the Toasted Cumin Crema: Whisk together creme fraiche (or sour cream), cumin, kosher salt and black pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- 11While Crema is chilling, add beans to chili pot and continue cooking till the meat is fork-tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- 12Remove from heat; add lime juice and salt and pepper.
- 13Serve with a spoonful of Toasted Cumin Crema.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Black Bean Chili With Toasted Cumin Crema (Bobby Flay)
Serving Size: 1 (392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 526.7
- Calories from Fat 266
- Total Fat 29.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 138.8 mg
- Sodium 616.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 38.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ground pasilla chile powder
chipotle chiles in adobo