Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From Pillsbury Doughboy Slow Cooker Recipies (2003). Cookbook notes that cornbread won't darken like cornbread baked in the oven but will get color from soaking the sauce below. Check cornbread for doneness with toothpick test.
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 15 ounces kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 ounces enchilada sauce
- 6 1⁄2 ounces cornbread mix
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 1⁄2 ounces green chilies, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- In large skillet, cook ground beef and onion over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until beef is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Drain. Stir in beans and enchilada sauce. Place beef mixture in a 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 quart slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine corn muffin mix, milk, margarine and egg; stir just until moistened (batter will be lumpy). Add cheese and chilies; stir gently to mix. Spoon over beef mixture in slow cooker.
- Cover; cook on low setting for 5 to 6 hours or until toothpick inserted in center of cornbread comes out clean. Top individual servings with sour cream and green onions.