Two Bean Tamale Pie
photo by Deb Wolf
- Ready In:
- 1 cup bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (6 ounce) can spicy vegetable juice, such as V-8
- 1 teaspoon Mexican chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package corn muffin mix, such as Jiffy brand
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 teaspoons dried cilantro (optional) or 4 teaspoons parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray a 2 quart casserole with non-stick.
- Cook sweet pepper, onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add beans, Spicy V-8 juice, chili powder and cumin. Stir. Bring to a simmer.
- Pour into prepared casserole.
- Combine muffin mix, milk and egg just until combined. Gently fold in cheese and cilantro. Pour over bean mixture.
- Spread to completely cover beans. Make sure batter touches the side of the dish all around.
- Bake, uncovered 20 - 25 minutes or until top is golden.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My husband, Walt and I live in Huntley, Illinois; about 1 hour west/northwest of Chicago O'Hare airport. I'm a stay at home wife with 3 adult children. I collect old cookbooks, enjoy reading, gardening, canning, candy making and jewelry making. I'm passionate about my savior, singing on the worship team and volunteering for a non-profit that provides free legal services to poor families. My favorite cookbooks are Taste of Home Contest Winning and those authored by Rachael Ray. A pet peeve is when a cook doesn't give an alternative for a difficult to find ingredient.