Recipe by D. Todd Miller
Admittedly, this salad is as American as apple pie, despite its name. However, it is a crowd-pleaser at cookouts and potlucks! Thanks to my cousin, Becky Snyder, for this recipe!
- 1 head lettuce
- 3 green onions
- 4 ounces sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 3 ounces crunchy chow mein noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- For the dressing, mix sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper, and oil in a small container with a lid. Shake vigorously to mix and set aside.
- For the salad, shred the lettuce and chop the onions. Mix these in a large bowl, along with the sliced almonds and poppy seeds. Chill.
- When ready to serve, toss the salad with the dressing. Sprinkle the chow mein noodles on top. Be advised: adding the dressing and/or the noodles too early will result in a soggy salad.
- OPTIONAL: To make this salad a complete meal, add two grilled, sliced chicken breasts and a small drained can of mandarin oranges.