Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I got this recipe from Cooking Light. It is a great alternative to traditional baked beans with bacon. It is really really good!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped onions (about 1 large)
- 3 cups chopped green bell peppers (about 1 medium)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup peppered beef jerky, minced
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic to pan; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook until liquid is reduced by half (about 15 minutes).