Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Tasty smoke ribs
- 4 lbs pork back ribs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- hickory chips
- In a small saucepan, heat oil; add onion and sauté until tender but not brown.
- Blend in salt, mustard, ketchup, apple juice and molasses; heat to boiling and set aside.
- Build a slow fire in a covered bbq or electric bbq to low.
- Arrange coals around sides of firebox. Set drip pan in center of firebox under grill and fill with water to keep meat moist.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of dampened and thoroughly drained hickory chips on coals.
- Place ribs on grill and close hood. BBQ ribs on each side for about 40 minutes. Sprinkling coals with some of the remaining chips every 30 minutes.
- Baste both sides of ribs with sauce and bbq uncovered, turning and basting occasionally for 20 minutes longer.
- Serve with remaining sauce.