Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a simple dish to make, very tasty. It can be made in a crock pot or the oven. This is delicious served with steamed broccoli and mashed sweet potatoes.
- In a medium-size microwave-safe bowl, stir marmalade with soy sauce. Microwave, uncovered, on high until softened, 1 minute.
- OR melt in a saucepan, stirring often.
- Stir in barbecue sauce.
- Place chicken in crock pot. Pour in sauce. Stir to coat.
- Cover and cook on high setting 4 hours or low 6 hours.
- To bake, preheat oven to 350F (180C). Place chicken in a large, ovenproof casserole dish that will hold at least 16 cups (4 L). Pour sauce over chicken. Stir to evenly coat. Set on a baking sheet to catch any drips if it bubbles over.
- Bake, covered, in centre of preheated oven until chicken feels springy when pressed and sauce is bubbly, about 1 3/4 hours.
- To thicken sauce, remove cooked chicken to a large serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir cornstarch with water until dissolved.
- Carefully ladle liquid from slow cooker or casserole into a medium-size saucepan.
- Set over high heat. Bring to a boil. Stir in cornstarch mixture.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir until sauce thickens, 2 minutes. Pour over chicken.
- Note: I prefer orange marmalade, ginger marmalade can be substituted. Recipe yields approximately 3 cups of sauce.
Oh, yum! My family really enjoyed this recipe! It's super easy, smells & tastes wonderful. I used the oven method, because I didn't get it started early enough for the crock pot, and I scaled it down to feed 4 of us. I used orange marmalade and Jack Daniel's No. 7 Original BBQ sauce. I also thought that almost 2 hours of cooking was going to be too much for the 4 chicken breasts I was doing, so I baked them for 30 & then pulled them out of the oven, but left them covered, until the wheatberry salad and mixed veggies were ready to eat. The end result was deliciously moist chicken! :) DH & DS shredded their chicken & made sandwiches with it and extra sauce, while DD & I enjoyed the chicken as prepared. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Elly, we'll be making it again! Made & enjoyed in honor of your dear DH, Jim.
I also scaled this down and prepared it in the oven, but the flavour was still just delicious! We loved this for it's taste and simplicity. Also, it's a real kid pleaser! Thanks Elly!
I scaled this down and made in the oven, it was as good as I thought it would be! Will be making the full quantity when having family and friends in or for pot lucks - know it will make for one great crowd pleaser. Made in memory of Elly's DH.