Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Barley, sauerkraut and an apple turn barbecued pork into a healthy German fare! Use an apple such as Rome Beauty, Winesap or Cortland.
- 1 (32 ounce) bagrefrigerated sauerkraut or 2 (14 ounce) cans sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 large unpeeled cooking apple, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium onions, chopped (1 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked regular barley (not quick-cooking)
- 8 pork loin or 8 pork chops, 3/4 inch thick
- 2⁄3 cup barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix sauerkraut, apple, onion, and barley in a ungreased 2 1/2-quart casserole or rectangular baking dish, 13x9x2 inches.
- Place pork on sauerkraut mixture, Spoon barbecue sauce over pork.
- Cover and bake 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes, uncovering the last 15 minutes, until pork is slightly pink when cut near the bone, barely is tender and liquid is absorted.
this didn't turn out the way i expected it to. the barley was hardly noticeable and the flavors just didn't blend right for me. i think it would have been better with a spoonful or 2 of brown sugar in the kraut mix, and maybe if the chops were browned first they would have been tender and not as tough as they turned out.