Contains ingredients found in a typical Basque stew.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 small lamb shanks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup dried white bean
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives
- 2 sprigs thyme
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Combine the flour and salt in a zip-lock plastic bag.
- 2One at a time, add the lamb shanks and shake until evenly coated.
- 3Place a large saute pan over med-high heat and add the oil.
- 4Add the lamb and cook, turning, for 15-20 minutes, until browned on all sides.
- 5Transfer lamb to the slow cooker.
- 6Add in the beans, garlic, stock, wine, and tomatoes.
- 7Cover and cook on LOW for about 5 hours.
- 8Add in the squash and cook on LOW for another 3 hours, until the lamb and squash are very tender.
- 9Just before serving, stir in the olives and thyme and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basque Lamb Shanks
Serving Size: 1 (743 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1155.9
- Calories from Fat 425
- Total Fat 47.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 243.9 mg
- Sodium 988.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.1 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 90.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: