Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
Contains ingredients found in a typical Basque stew.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 small lamb shanks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup dried white bean
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup pitted black olives
- 2 sprigs thyme
- fresh ground black pepper
- Combine the flour and salt in a zip-lock plastic bag.
- One at a time, add the lamb shanks and shake until evenly coated.
- Place a large saute pan over med-high heat and add the oil.
- Add the lamb and cook, turning, for 15-20 minutes, until browned on all sides.
- Transfer lamb to the slow cooker.
- Add in the beans, garlic, stock, wine, and tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 5 hours.
- Add in the squash and cook on LOW for another 3 hours, until the lamb and squash are very tender.
- Just before serving, stir in the olives and thyme and season to taste with salt and pepper.