This is a great recipe to make with prepared basil pesto, makes a great latenight snack or serve it with a pasta dinner. To save some time you can broil/toast the bread slices in advance. If you prefer a lot of topping on the rounds just double the pesto mixture.
- 1 (1 lb) French baguette (cut into about 1/2-inch slices, purchase the long thin loaf for this)
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup prepared basil pesto (purchased or homemade)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or use 2 large cloves, minced or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- black pepper (optional)
- Set oven to broil.
- Arrange the bread rounds/slices in a single layer on a cookie or baking sheet.
- Broil for about 6-7 minutes or until lightly toasted (watch closely that they do not burn).
- Remove then flip the slices so that the toasted side is on the bottom.
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl mix together mayonnaise, pesto, garlic, Parmesan cheese and salt to taste.
- Divide and spread the mixture onto the untoasted tops of each bread slice, then sprinkle lightly with black pepper if desired.
- Bake for about 6-8 minutes, just until they bubble and turn golden.
- Let cool slightly before serving.