Prep 10 mins
Cook 14 mins
The combination of basil and coconut milk is outrageously good, and fresh mango brightens up this dish. Found this great recipe in Chatelaine magazine. Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 14 minutes Makes: 8 servings
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 red onion
- 1 large mango
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- Slice each chicken breast lengthwise into 3 or 4 thick strips. Lightly oil a large wide saucepan and set over medium heat. When hot, add chicken. Stir often until chicken loses its pink color, 4 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place onion on a cutting board, cut side down, then thinly slice. Peel mango. Slice fruit from stone in large pieces then cut into thick bite size strips.
- When chicken is no longer pink, remove to a large plate. Pour coconut milk into pan. Pour coconut milk into pan. Increase heat to medium-high. Add onion, dried basil, cumin, chili flakes and salt. Boil, uncovered and stirring often, until sauce is reduced by half, about 4 to 5 minutes. Return chicken and any juices to pan. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add mango and stir often, uncovered, until chicken is springy when pressed, 6 to 8 minute Slice lime in half and cut one half into 6 think wedges. Coarsely chop basil. When chicken is cooked, squeeze juice from half of lime over top. Sprinkle with fresh basil. I found this recipe is great with rice noodles and snow peas. Serve with lime wedges.