Recipe by Nathan H
The combination of basil and coconut milk is outrageously good, and fresh mango brightens up this dish. Found this great recipe in Chatelaine magazine. Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 14 minutes Makes: 8 servings
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 red onion
- 1 large mango
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice each chicken breast lengthwise into 3 or 4 thick strips. Lightly oil a large wide saucepan and set over medium heat. When hot, add chicken. Stir often until chicken loses its pink color, 4 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place onion on a cutting board, cut side down, then thinly slice. Peel mango. Slice fruit from stone in large pieces then cut into thick bite size strips.
- When chicken is no longer pink, remove to a large plate. Pour coconut milk into pan. Pour coconut milk into pan. Increase heat to medium-high. Add onion, dried basil, cumin, chili flakes and salt. Boil, uncovered and stirring often, until sauce is reduced by half, about 4 to 5 minutes. Return chicken and any juices to pan. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add mango and stir often, uncovered, until chicken is springy when pressed, 6 to 8 minute Slice lime in half and cut one half into 6 think wedges. Coarsely chop basil. When chicken is cooked, squeeze juice from half of lime over top. Sprinkle with fresh basil. I found this recipe is great with rice noodles and snow peas. Serve with lime wedges.