Recipe by Sharon123
This recipe was a 1997 Grand Prize Winner in Better Homes and Gardens! Enjoy! Chicken needs to stand for 30 minutes before cooking.
Top Review by TexasKelly
We thought this was very good! I halved the recipe, but did keep to the full recipe seasoning amounts. I thought I had ginger but found that I didn't and just added a soft dusting of ground ginger, and I also squeezed some fresh lime juice over top of the finished product. I would love to make this again- soon. I think the only thing different I may do is next time add some snow peas or something like that to make it a little more hearty & filling. Thanks for posting the recipe.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 lb.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped gingerroot
- hot cooked rice
- fresh basil (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse chicken, pat dry.
- Cut into 1" pieces.
- Place in medium bowl.
- In small bowl stir together the cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, coriander,, cumin, salt, pepper, turmeric, and chili powder.
- Sprinkle over chicken, toss to coat.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or in fridge for 1 to 2 hours.
- In a large nostick wok or skillet cook and stir onion, garlic, and jalapeno peppers in hot oil over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove onion mixture.
- Add about half of the chicken to the wok or skillet.
- Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or till chicken is tender and no pink remains.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- If necessary, add more oil.
- Cook and remove remaining chicken as above.
- Stir together coconut milk and cornstarch.
- Carefully add to wok or skillet.
- Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.
- Return chicken and onion mixture to skillet.
- Stir in snipped basil and gingerroot.
- Cook and stir about 2 minutes more or till heated through.
- Serve over rice.
- Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.
- Makes 4 servings.