Prep 504 hrs
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is posted by request. Original recipe from "The Rodale Food Center".
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 2 1⁄2 quarts cider vinegar
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fresh basil, added after 2 weeks
- 1 cup red wine vinegar, added after 3 weeks
- 1 cup boiled water, added after 3 weeks
- 3 sprigs fresh basil, added afteer 3 weeks
- In a 4 quart stainless or enamel pot crush the basil leaves.
- Add the cider vinegar.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove from heat and add the cloves of garlic.
- Cover or place in a sterile container-again covered.
- Let stand two weeks.
- Strain vinegar into another sterile container and add the 1 cup basil.
- Let stand another week.
- Strain and add the red wine vinegar and water.
- Sterilize 3 1-quart jars-or as many pint jar/half pint jar combo's as you wish.
- Chop remaining basil and divide between choosen bottles.
- Add the vinegar and cap or seal.