Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From my bread machine's recipe book, for use with the Basic Medium cycle. I'm also including the specs for bigger capacities but listing the recipe for a 1-lb loaf. My machine requires you to proof the yeast first; some may not so disregard Step 1 if you don't have to proof! (2 1/4 cups AP flour + 6 3/4 tablespoons vital wheat gluten = 2 1/4 cups bread flour) My Medium cycle for a 1-lb loaf takes about 70 minutes, other machines will vary.
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- If you have to proof the yeast first, proof it in the sugar and water in the bread machine's basin for 10-15 minutes or until foamy; then mix the other ingredients together and pop it in for the Basic Medium or Basic White cycle.
- If not, just throw everything in, hit the Basic Medium or Basic White cycle for a 1-lb capacity, and kick back and let the machine do its work! The 1-lb loaf yields about 10 large slices.
- For 1.5-lb loaf, use 1 cup water, 3 tablespoons oil, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 3 cups bread flour (3 TB vital wheat gluten + 3 cups AP flour) and 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast.
- For 2-lb loaf, use 1 1/3 cups water, 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons salt, 4 cups bread flour (4 TB vital wheat gluten + 4 cups AP flour), and 1 tablespoon active dry yeast.