Recipe by SouthernBell2627
This recipe is from "Woman's Day" magazine, September 12, 2006. It is a very simple basic cake batter. You can add a variety of different things to make several different cakes.
Top Review by Retro Kali
Made this for my daughter's birthday, when I realized that we didn't have a cake mix in the house. It turned out light, and fluffy, and everyone was asking for more! It will be my standard from now on. Thanks!
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat butter, sugar, baking powder, and vanilla in a large bowl with mixer on high 3 minutes or until fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each. On low speed, beat in flour in 3 additions alternately with milk in 2 additions, just until blended, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes.