Recipe by Sommer Clary
Have a bag of dry beans and don't know how to cook them? Here's the basic recipe for dry black beans. Making them homemade with some added spices is so much more delicious (and cost effective). These are a great side dish to any meal!
- 1 lb dry black beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse beans in a colander under running water, picking out any debris.
- Place rinsed beans in a heavy pot filled with 6 cups of water and soak overnight.
- Add bay leaf and 1/4 tsp each of cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Bring just to a boil, then cover and simmer for 1 1/2 – 2 hours, or until beans are tender. Add 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper (or more to taste).
- Makes about 6 cups of cooked beans.