- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (135 g) can tomato paste
- 1 (410 g) can coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- Cook dry beans according to instructions on packet. (No need with canned beans).
- Sauté onions until they are soft and clear.
- Add tomato paste, coconutcream and seasonings, stirring over a gentle heat until they form a smooth and creamy sauce.
- Drain beans and add to sauce. Allow to simmer gently for 15 minutes or so, stirring from time to time.
- Serve on brown or white rice accompanied by a salad.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
A lovely vegetable dish which can be used as a main course with the brown rice. I must say I wasn't too sure about using blackeyed peas with this sauce, but it really works. I often use coconut milk in my dishes, but the coconut cream is sooo much more flavorful. The balance of the sauce ingredients really imparted a nice aromatic flavor to it. Added a tsp. more brown sugar to the ingredients, but otherwise made just as directed. Will definitely make this dish again as we enjoy vegetarian dishes that can be served as the main course. Made for PRMR, October, 2013.