MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Serve these beans hot with steamed rice or torillas, or use them in Spinach and Bean Quesadillas. They may be frozen in airtight containers for future use.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Place beans in a colander and rinse with cold running water.
- Pick over the beans and remove any stones or foreign objects.
- Place beans in a clean pot, cover with fresh cold water, and soak for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight to expedite the cooking process.
- Drain the beans.
- In a large stainless steel pot, combine the beans, 1 quart water, and all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- When the water reaches a boil, skim the surface, reduce the heat, and simmer until the beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- Drain the liquid from the beans and reserve for use in other recipes.
- Discard the bay leaf.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Excellent! I'm trying to stretch my food budget, so I decided to make these beans instead of buying the canned variety. I followed the recipe to the letter and was very pleased with the results. Nicely seasoned, and the pinch of cayenne pepper gave it a little extra kick. I'll be making these again very soon.Reply
see 10 more