Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter until fluffy. Add sugar and continue to cream well for 6 to 8 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and milk alternately to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla and continue to beat until just mixed.
- Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Level batter in each pan by holding pan 3 or 4 inches above counter, then dropping it flat onto counter. Do this several times to release air bubbles and assure you of a more level cake.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until done.
- Cool in pans 5 to 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto cooling racks. Cool completely and spread cake layers with your favorite frosting to make a 3-layer cake.